Friday, August 24, 2012

Hello, can I get a little ATTENTION. Please!



If you are a mommy or caregiver for more than one child then it's most likely you have experienced a child demanding for individual, one-on-one attention. You probably have had those days when one or more kiddo just wanted YOU all to themselves and if they did not get the attention or response they needed they did anything in their power to get it.  It would start out endearing but then it would end up pushing your limits way too far. I have tended triplet boys on and off for the past 2 years (they are 4 years old now) and I saw this all the time! I would get, "Miss Cami, can will you play with me?”, "Miss Cami, can I sit on your lap?", "Miss Cami, watch me hit my brother?" or "Miss Cami, I don't want to listen to you or sit in timeout, but I want you to PLAY WITH ME!"  Over and over again, all day long! Repeating things like "Feet stay on the floor", "Please keep your hands out of your milk" and "I am sorry, but the answer is still no," till your head and throat hurts by the end of the day.
So why is this child acting out? Well, for one he/she is seeking YOUR attention and needs quality time with you.  Unfortunately, when you have multiple children this is difficult to do.  There is a technique by Dr. Harvey Karp from The Happiest Toddler on the Block, called “Feed the Meter”.  Just like a parking meter, you put coins into it to keep your parking spot and you do the same with kiddos.  Even giving 10-15 minutes of individual one-on-one time can feed your child's ‘attention appetite.’ When they need you again... feed the meter again.
https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/?ui=2&ik=cdc4322787&view=att&th=13937e18556920c4&attid=0.1&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P9MPGOBsawIw8XJ-Z4gjPcx&sadet=1345262351845&sads=2pljxWXlnvS_XEJfyv3AHtOXeDM&sadssc=1Another reason he/she might be trying to do this is due to competing time with the other child/children or things that are taking attention away from them.  A good way to spread your time out is to actually time it.  Announce to this child that you put ‘x’ amount of minutes on a timer (probably 5-10 depending on their age) for set time with each child.  Explain when the time is up, the timer will chime and it will be time to switch.  You can let them hold the timer and watch the minutes go by or they can play by themselves until it's their special turn with Mom or caregiver. I've seen much success with this technique.
Give them a responsibility.  When I served families in the community, the first thing I did before trying to give advice with behavior was educating parents to define everyone's role in the home. There is a sense of importance when this happens and everyone feels like they have a job to do.  Being a "Big Helper" definitely gives them their fix for attention because they know you are watching them in their role. For example, when the triplets want to go on the walk to the park I make sure everyone has a special job: one is the leader, one pulls the wagon, and one is the caboose.  I make sure they take turns in this activity and in other similar activities. But acknowledging how well each did in the task surely makes them feel like they are contributing!
Lastly, it might just be an off day.  This is normal for kiddos who are growing and experiencing different emotions.  It could always be the one of the 3 I like to call the ‘Excusables’ for behavior: TIRED, SICK, or HUNGRY.  I always find when my own behavior is not at its best there’s a 90% chance it has to do with one of these "Excusables".  But by helping them recognize their behavior or what they are feeling will help them recognize their emotions too.  “I see you are rubbing your eyes. You must be tired, let’s go read a book and relax. It’s almost nap time.” When my hubby does this for me, it is heaven!
I understand sharing YOU with little ones can be tiresome. I know, I get it! These techniques of feeding the meter, timing it, giving them responsibilities, and helping recognize emotions have worked for me. Try’em out!
What has worked you for you when tending multiples?

No comments:

Post a Comment