Saturday, August 11, 2012

Working Mama

She obviously, often dresses herself :-)
I am a working mom.  I am fortunate to have a job in a field that I have a passion for.  Albeit, doesn’t pay much but we make it work for the 2 of us.  

Every day I drop off my little girl at the babysitter’s about 7:30 and pick her up before 5.  Typically, when it’s the end of the day and I ring the sitter’s doorbell I am generally greeted (but not always) with a cute 3 year old yelling “Mommmmm!” as she jumps up and down.    Other times she is engrossed in some type of activity and appears to not really care that I am back.  After chatting with the sitter and talking about everyone’s day we eventually make it home.  At some point between me ringing the doorbell at the sitter’s and Laura and I walking into the house I commonly experience some type of tantrum.  Seriously?!  It’s what every Mom wants, a tantrum.  Sometimes they are short lived other times she is just CRANKY.

I have put a lot of thought into these interactions.  I have also thought a lot about the fact of how much time we DON’T have to spend together.  Monday-Friday we have approximately 2 to 2 ½ hours of time together before it is time for her to be in bed and do it all over again the next day.  I HATE it.  I have seriously contemplated putting her to bed later than 7:30 just so I can play, snuggle and have fun with her.  But, lets face it.  That ain’t gonna happen! Even though typing that makes me sad.  Let me explain why…

#1.  Why does Laura tantrum almost every day?  Because I am SAFE.  She, like me has had a long day and has been keeping her composure all day long and now she can just be free and let it out.  Some days she may be tired, frustrated, or sad because she missed me.  But, the point is she is going to let out her emotions onto me.  Because I am the MOM and we have a healthy relationship. 

#2 Once again I am the MOM and she is 3.  She is going to try push her limits the most with me because I am SAFE.  She is testing me, kids need limits, they need structure, they absolutely crave it (and fight it). Additionally, because she is 3 she is consistently experiencing new emotions, figuring out how to handle them, what they are and what the heck to do with them. 

#3 She needs her sleep!  I have learned that I need a break and she needs her sleep.  Children are better off with an hour or 2 less of interactions than with that extra hour or 2 of interaction and it not be positive.  If I let Laura stay up in an effort to spend more time with her she is going to be tired, she already has had a long day.  And I am tired too and I still need MY time to get things done and take care of myself.  Self-care is so important!

Some days I have a hard time remembering these things but, I know that they are totally true!  Working can be exhausting and the guilt I feel some times is awful.  But, when I put things into perspective and take care of myself it seems to alleviate my guilt.  Because I KNOW that she needs her rest, I need to take care of myself too and children don’t need to spend the majority of their time with their parent to have a loving, healthy relationship which is what every child needs.



No comments:

Post a Comment