Friday, September 7, 2012

One of Those Days...

Have you ever had one of those days? I know we all have! Recently I had one of those "nights".

Laura and I were home for the day (yay!) and I needed to make some cookies for a church function the next evening. I was so happy, the cookie dough that I had previously frozen and had thawed out perfectly. I thought to myself "These snickerdoodles will be a breeze!"  The first batch of cookies I cooked a little too long, they weren't burned but a little too brown (no big deal, I figured I would send them to the babysitter's, the kids always love goodies). Of course Laura was DYING to have a cookie. I threw some more cookies in the oven and agreed that she could have one after her bath but before bed. We scurried up the stairs and she took a quick bath.

As soon as I pulled her out of the bath I asked her to go to her room and get her jammies on while I ran downstairs to pull the cookies out of the oven and put a new batch in the oven. I accomplished my task and answered my phone while I was downstairs. It was a friend of mine stating he was going to just drop something off at my house real quick and leave it outside and I could grab it when I didn't have my hands full (perfect!). I put my phone down and hustled back upstairs.

 Laura was being mischievous and silly and was hiding behind her bedroom door, she then said "Mom, I peed!" What??? She had PEED on the floor, seriously??!! I can't tell you the last time she did that! I instantly walk into her room and closed the door so that I could get behind the door and investigate the pee that is now on my carpet. Laura chimes in "The door is locked". What, you have got to be kidding!! (Laura's door knob is backwards so the lock is on the OUTSIDE of her room). We are locked IN her room. I instantly ran to her bedroom window, opened and looked outside and could see my friend who had just dropped off something driving away down the road, there was no way I could flag him down!! So, there we were locked in her room.

I knew my boyfriend was planning to be at my house around 8 but, things change I knew I couldn't count on that. What did I end up doing? Well, first I seriously contemplated attempting to wrap myself around the side of the house and try to get on top of the garage which would of allowed me to lower myself down on to the fence, and then get down and go to a neighbor's and call my boyfriend to tell him to come let me in my house (every door in my house is locked). But, I couldn't quite wrap myself around the side of the house and I wasn't very keen on the idea of leaving Laura alone in her bedroom on the 2nd floor with the window open.

 So, PLAN B hang out of her window and try to get someone's attention! FINALLY, after what seemed like an eternity I was able to flag down my neighbor's boyfriend as he walked down the street. (I am sure he thought I was a nut job) I explained the situation, he went home, got his phone and his girlfriend and they called my boyfriend for me. Of course the minute she explained the situation he (my boyfriend)  laughed and said he would be right there (who wouldn't laugh?).

 I also have a horrible stomach and was sick with anxiety I was DYING, thinking that I may lose it at any moment!

 Eventually, my boyfriend showed up and he let me out. Meanwhile, the cookies in the oven were burned to a crisp and it took a good 4 days before the scent of charcoal-esque snickerdoodles left my home. And the women at church the next evening were served thawed out pre-made cookies that were sufficient but, not my best. It is what it is :-)

 Moral of the story, some nights you just have to laugh and go to bed (oh, and text your girlfriends so that they can have a good laugh before they go to bed).

No comments:

Post a Comment