Monday, September 24, 2012

Back to Basics

Have you ever been sooooo ridiculously MAD that you literally had to scream into your pillow? Or you threw your cell phone across the room?

Or how about the time when you were so tired that you couldn't help but be cranky even though you knew you were being absolutely ridiculous?

Sometimes, I am so overwhelmed with things that I can't even function properly.  Its like I am in survival mode. 

WELCOME TO YOUR CHILD'S WORLD.

All of those times that your CHILD is hitting, kicking, super cranky or just being ridiculous put yourself in THEIR shoes!

Your child is hitting, kicking and being ridiculous because they are tired/overwhelmed/mad and they are past the point of of their COPING SKILLS. 

So, its our job to TEACH them.  Give them the words, "you are tired", "he took your toy you are mad, let me help you".  Get the picture?  We naturally teach by example.  If you hit them back for hitting, guess what they JUST learned?  You just reinforced hitting and gave them NO new coping skill.  (CRAP!)

Thank you for letting me give myself this reminder. Sometimes we all need it! Because kids are hard!!

Sometimes I feel like this A LOT
 
**I also want to note that at times kids can bite because they are sooooo happy they don't know what else to do, so keep that in mind** :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment