Sunday, September 9, 2012

What Mommy Personality type are you: Step by Step Guide to Finding your Personality type


For those who know me, know that I can become obsessed with personality tests, especially the Myers-Briggs personality test. You might know this because I have already kindly forced you to take it.  I truly enjoy getting to know people, their motives, and learn how their brain works.  It's become a hobby that I blame my old roommate, April, on.

Pros to TAKING the TEST
Taking the personality test can help better understand what makes you and your partner, children, family, friends, and coworkers tick. The test SPELLS it out for you.  After taking it, it's like an AH-HA moment and you might start laughing learning how true the test explains everyone so clearly. I mean I already knew weird things about me, but to know there are others just like me out there, that's funny! And once I knew my hubby was a Guardian (ESFJ), I could understand why certain things were so important to him and why he would get so irritated over certain things that didn't matter at all to me (like the dishes always needing to be clean).  That's just the way he thinks, feels, and does things. The test also helps explain why you react the way you do too.

Why Myers-Briggs?
Here's the thing about this particular personality test it's a long running test developed by psychologist 70+ years ago and is used in institutions, education, and major corporations all over the world.  It's a good one!  I personally like David Keirsey's take on the test where he took the 4 letters that make up the individual's personality type and gives them a name. It helps identify the 16 different characters better. There are four families which are Guardian, Artisan, Idealist, and Rational, and within each family are 4 members (equaling 16 total). Now, I am not a fan of labeling a people, but it's easier to call someone an Idealist Champion rather than an ENFP (PS that's me). 

Where can you take this test?
There are not a lot of free personality tests online for MBPT so I will link you up. Here's the steps I would recommend for getting the most out of this personality test.  

1. Go to  http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp. It's 72 questions long with 2 options for each, just so you know it might take awhile.

2. After the test spits out your 4 letters, it will give you a description.  I would take your 4 letters and go to www.keirsey.com where you can read up on your personality type in depth for career placement, dating/relationship building, famous people, coping skills, etc... I visit the site quite a bit and totally recommend it.

3. If you want  more insight about personalities the book Please Understand Me Part II by David Keirsey is a must read.  To be honest it is not an easy read, but it has great information about relationships, parenting styles, and leadership roles. I skim through this to find what personality I want to reach. I would not suggest reading this straight through, it can get boring. The test is also in this book. 

4. If you want to figure out what your kiddo's personality type is it will take some time.  Though you can see bits and pieces of your child's personality right now, children don't develop the full personality till mid-teen to even early adulthood.  This has to do with brain development, and the human brain does not completely develop until mid 20's.  Another recommendation that can help indicate early personality traits is Nurture by Nature: Understand Your Child's Personality Type- And Become a Better Parent by Paul D. Tieger and Barbara Baron-Tieger. I have found this in my local library, so it might be in yours!

Conclusion
"Seek to understand before being understood" was one of Stephen R. Covey's rules for highly successful people. Better understanding your family, friends, coworkers, leaders, and yourself will change the way you look at situations and is one of my favorite ways to cope with stress. Educating ourselves on how people tick, will help with the expectations we put on people.  

Let us know what personality type you are by posting it!-Cami

No comments:

Post a Comment